Friday, June 30, 2006

A "new" bike for Jonathon


Last night while my husband and I were sitting in our backyard enjoying the beautiful evening, we heard the doorbell ring. At the door stood an elderly man I recognized, one year ago I used to live a 1/4 mile down the road from him. He asked me about an old innertube I had put out for pickup, he said he would like it for his grandson to use in his pool. I told him I would throw it in the pickup truck and deliver it to his home...we only moved a 1/2 mile from our old home. I told him I had been waiting for him and his grandson to ride their bikes by my home again because I had a bike they might be interested in. I had noticed the past few months that his grandson Jonathon had been riding a broken down bike, and it was a girls bike...kids get teased about those kind of things. I asked the grandpa if it was alright if I offered Jonathon a bike that my daughter had out grown, she maybe had 5 miles on it at most, and it was a boys bike. Grandpa said it was o.k., so I wiped the dust off from it, and wheeled it out of the garage. Jonathon jumped right on and took it for a spin. I may not have a picture on my camera of a seven year old boy, with black hair, stunning blue eyes, and a face covered with freckles, proud as could be riding his "new" bike, but my minds eye will hold that picture forever. I told the grandpa I would put it in the truck also, and deliver it to him. After I reached their home I unloaded the tube and bike and stayed for a visit. It was apparent to me that Jonathon had some problems, his grandpa told me he is ADHD, and that he is on medication. I spent some time with Jonathon explaining how to operate the gears on his new bike , and out of the blue he told me that he has a mom and dad, they just don't want him. I struggled to continue our lesson about gears, as I'm looking into his beautiful eyes wondering "HOW???", how could he NOT be wanted? I knew when I left their home last night it wouldn't be the last visit I will have with them. This morning about 11:00 (I'm being lazy in my jammies) the doorbell rang, it was Jonathon, he had a envelope for me, I opened it and read it, I laughed, and felt so overwhelmed with joy...the note had a picture of a monkey with wings holding a bananna, the note read, "Thankyou for the bike! I'll be flying around the neighborhood with my new bike! Keep cats, dogs, and cars out of the way. And don't step on a bananna peel. "signed" Your friend Jonathon" I let Jonathon know that this letter is going to hang on my refridgerator for a long time to come, we shook hands and said we will be seeing each other soon. I must say, I was honored that a 7 year old boy wants me to be his friend. If I can give him anything of importance, it will be hope. I have a feeling I will be involved in this childs life for a while, nothing I chose to do, rather it was chosen for me.

2 comments:

Linda@VS said...

What a heartwarming story! Sounds like you touched each other's hearts today.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful story and opportunity to make a difference in a child's life. Thanks so much for sharing it and also for the visit...Carmon