Thursday, June 22, 2006



Today would have been my Dad's 73rd birthday. It is really a shame (for the family) that he died at the age of 71. Dad was a child at heart, and just as curious also. Growing up, I knew my Dad worked hard for his family. He was 18 when he married my Mom, she was 17. The odds today of a marriage starting out so young, and lasting, aren't very good, hey, the odds of marriages lasting at all are still at 50%, right? In the fifties, it seemed there were an entirely different set of values, or maybe values were valued more. I am sure their marriage endured rough times, but they were so busy raising 5 children there wasn't much time to dwell on their differences. I found my Dad the most enjoyable when he finally retired, it gave him the time to be a substitute Dad for my girls, and to set an example of what Dads are suppose to be like. He seemed like the glue that held our family together, because after he passed away, (and it WAS sudden, damned Michigan snow anyway) the family seemed to break apart, I just think some people need to grow up at some point in their lives. I know in my heart my Dad lives on in all of us, and the best way to honor him is to try and get along, it's what he would have expected. So in honor of his Birthday, I'm going to work hard, take Mom to get a new set of tires, lend an ear to someone who needs it, and have an ice cold beer. Rest in peace my dear Dad, you have earned it! I'll see ya someday when my work is done.

2 comments:

Linda@VS said...

Your dad and your sister both have such sweet smiles. It's easy to see the love there.

maxngabbie said...

Velvet, we were blessed to be spoiled with lots of love. We didn't have many material things, but we sure had love!