Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Cracked pot

My daughters and I attended a contemporary service at our church last night, I felt an overwhelming need to go. Funny, when that happens, it seems as though the sermon is directed towards me. Our Pastor spoke of a water bearer who would tote two clay pots to the river for water for his master. One of the pots was totally intact, the other bore a crack. After about a year the cracked pot apologized to the water bearer saying, "I am so sorry, by the time you return, half of the water that I hold is gone". The water bearer told the pot, "even though you are flawed, you still have been useful, you see I have planted flower seeds along our path, and as we walked you have managed to water those seeds so I could provide fresh cut flowers to my master". (I hate it when I cry in church) Lately I have been feeling broken and not of much use. Through that message I find God loves us no matter where we are in life, no matter how broken we are, He will use us for His benefit. The Pastor had two clay pots on the altar, one flawless, the other cracked. He placed a candle in each one to demonstrate that in some of the most broken people, you can see Gods light shine through the most. The sermon also reminded me of Gods perfection, how He can love the most unloveable people, even I can't do that....a few names come to mind. ;) After the sermon ended people stood around and chatted, and talked about the cracked pot, many saying how they feel broken also, so I proceeded
to say, "I have a BIG crack"...after my daughter poked me in the back I realized what I had just said..I.COULD.HAVE.DIED!! On the bright side I know my daughter will have some of her mothers raunchy sense of humor, that sense of humor was my saving grace when I worked in a world of all men, it helped to break the ice, and to keep them on their toes. By the time the work day ended, I was sure they would go home and treat their wifes with the respect they so deserved...because I let them know in no uncertain terms that they weren't easy to work with...how in Gods name did their wifes put up with them??? May you find the peace of God in your day..no matter how perfect you feel, or how broken you are.

No comments: