Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It only happens once in a lifetime.

Last night while I was resting my head on my husbands lap I said to him, "three years ago was the last time I talked with dad".
He said,"I know".
This morning before he left the house he held me and said,"I'm thinking of your dad today".
I said "thank you".

If we had to line people up in our lives, he knew where dad stood in that line. He understood the best he could, well before we married. He never failed to show me he was o.k. with that.

Three years have not changed the past, he is still gone.
Come 8 pm tonight will mark three calendar years, he just left, just like that. No i love you's, no goodbyes, no see ya's, and no "I forgot to tell ya one more thing". When he left, he left a huge hole in our hearts, a hole I am slowy filling with memories, but a hole nonetheless.
I don't believe the pain goes away, it must be put away, placed somewhere by the survivor in us.

I loved him bigger than the world, to the moon and back thousands of times. My love for him never grew up, it didn't have to. He was the best of the best, the brightest of the stars that shine, he was my sunrise and sunset.
I am thankful this only happens once in a lifetime, you can only lose your dad once, I will never have to feel that pain again. I know that there will be "other pains" in my lifetime..i know, i know.
I really, really miss my dad, and I will never, ever stop.

Hey dad, that breakfast Manda and I had this morning was in memory of you.

1 comment:

Deb said...

My heart goes out to you, for I too lost my father. For me it's been nearly 10 years ago, though it doesn't seem so long.

I will never stop missing him. The sense of loss never totally dissipates, and maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I felt about my dad as it seems you felt about yours--that he hung the moon and stars, etc. In the words of Auden, "He was my north, my south, my east my west..." Shoot, this is a great poem, too bad I haven't memorized all of it!

I know you will continue cherishing memories of your dad as well you should, for he helped make you into who you are today.

Beautifuldreamer
bdreamer.squarespace.com